How to choose a bike? Some information to start with
Choosing a bike is only seemingly simple. In the recent years, there has been a significant specialization in individual types of bikes and therefore entering this world again can give you a headache. Don't worry, though. When asking yourself how to choose a bike, first of all you need to know what you want to use it for. If you plan to use it primarily for trips and commuting, choose something that will allow you to install additional accessories, such as a trekking, cross or city bike. If you want to train and race, choose a road bike or MTB.
What types of bicycles are there?
As mentioned above, in recent years there has been a lot of specialization in individual bicycle categories. A gravel bike, which comes in a straight line from a road bike, has gained a lot of popularity. Enduro or trail bikes are derivatives of mountain bikes. Below you can check out a little cheat sheet on what types of bikes there are:
- Mountain bikes - as the name suggests, they are used for riding in the mountains, but not only that. They will be perfect, above all, away from asphalt.
- MTB bikes for trekking
- Performance MTB XC bikes
- Women's MTB bikes
- Enduro bikes
- Trail bikes
- Downhill bikes
- Road bikes - bikes designed for riding on asphalt and hardened roads. They are equipped with relatively narrow tires, thanks to which, among other things, it is possible to develop high speeds.
- Gravel bikes - a kind of combination of road and mountain bikes. It is highly inspired by of both of the above bike types.
- Trekking bikes - i.e. bikes that are used for broadly understood bicycle tourism. Perfect for everyday traveling kilometres as well as for a few-day bicycle trip.
- Cross bikes
- Trekking bikes
- Electric bicycles - bikes equipped with electric assistance. Thanks to the electric motor, they simplify overcoming obstacles and kilometres. Riding them is a lot of fun and, contrary to popular belief, you can also get tired on them.
- Electric cross bikes
- Electric trekking bikes
- Electric mountain bikes
- Electric city bikes
- City bikes - mainly for the city. They are perfect for everyday use and they make it easier to ride along bicycle paths. Thanks to the upright position, they allow for better observation of the surroundings while riding.
- City bikes for kids
- City bikes for men
- City bikes for women
How to choose a bike to suit your height
Buying a bicycle is not only a matter of choosing the right type. It is also a question of how to choose a bicycle or how to choose the size of the frame. The correct size of the bike will make the ride more enjoyable and will not cause significant fatigue while riding. Therefore, with each bike, you will find information about the suggested size depending on your height.
To find your perfect bike size, you just need to start by measuring yourself. Of course, bike-fitting can be helpful, but this solution is rather for people looking for competitive bikes.
How do I take care of my bike? Useful accessories for washing the bike and drive
It may seem that the bike does not need to be cared for excessively. After all, there are few mechanical parts that do not wear out too quickly. However, it must be remembered that proper care of the bike will make it possible to cover significantly longer distances and ensure less frequent visits to bicycle repair shops. That's why it's a good idea to stock up on such things like a chain oil, bike shampoo, and other bike chemicals to help keep your bike clean.
However, the basic element in caring for your bicycle should be frequent lubrication of the chain. How often should you lubricate the chain? It all depends on the conditions in which you ride the most.